During the past week 48 countries have sent 1500 competitors to Melbourne to compete in two international DanceSport Competitions, held 29 November to 1 December – 67th Australian DanceSport Championship and 2 December, Sunday – The WDSF World DanceSport Championship Standard.
The finals for the 67th Australian DanceSport Championship were held at Hisense Arena tonight, Saturday, December 1 and the winners in each category are:
· Australian Closed Standard Antonio Micheli / Katerina Maximova - MELB
· Junior Open Latin Davide Santalucia / Jordana Haiden - WA
· Masters 1 Open Standard Joe Guan / Helen Xu - VIC
· Professional Open New VoGue Jacob Grech / Zalie Merritt - Vic
· Junior Open Standard Daniel Gage / Katie Birkinshaw - WA
· Australian Closed Latin Julian Tocker / Annalisa Zoanetti - SA
· Professional Open Standard Paolo Bosco/Joanne Clifton - ITALY
· Junior Open New Vogue Daniel Cage / Katie Birkinshaw - WA
· Aust Open & WDSF Int Open Latin Martino Zanibellato/Michelle Abildrup - DENMARK
On Sunday 2 December, Melbourne will host the prestigious world event The WDSF World DanceSport Championship Standard, which will feature the very best Standard (Ballroom) dancers in the world.
The dancing will be exquisite as representatives from 48 countries compete to take home the World Standard DanceSport trophy.
Representing Australia will be:
· Antonio Micheli and Katerina Maximova from Melbourne
· Michael Glickman and Milana Deitch from Sydney
The competitions will commence at 9.30am with the Grand Final from 7.30pm. Jason Gilkison, one of Australia’s most successful and respected choreographers and Creative Directors and a past DanceSport champion himself, has choreographed a spectacular opening for the Grand Final.
The event takes place at Hisense Arena, beginning at 9.30am, with the grand final set for 7.30pm. Tickets can be purchased via Ticketek – 132 849 or www.ticketek.com.au. For more information, go to www.worldstandard2012.com.au.